Please spend time reinforcing our behavior guidelines with your child (ren) in order to create a positive learning environment for all of our students, to develop their self-discipline with a strong sense of team work, and the commitment to everyone’s safety is the compliance indicators of Irvine Chinese School. Your support is very important. When students hear the same message at home and at school, we increase our consistency and chances for success.
In order to have an effective community, students need to understand the roles and responsibilities that come with community membership. A strong team must have a basic consensus and a clear specification. Therefore, all students must abide by the rules listed in the ICS Parent/Student Handbook. Underlying this approach are the democratic principles of balancing individual rights with rights of the school community.
- All activities are listed in the school calendar. ICS reserves the right to change or cancel any event.
- Students should act in a way that is safe and healthy for themselves and others.
- Students should respect the rights and needs of others.
- Students should be respectful for the learning environment and not act in a disruptive manner.
- Students are responsible for their personal belongings.
- Students are to make compensation for any damaged properties caused by him/her.
- Students will be expected to keep our school looking attractive and free of vandalism and/or graffiti.
- Dangerous toys, weapons, and drugs are prohibited in school.
- No chewing gum at school.
- No toys at school without teacher’s consent.
- Students should follow teachers’ directions and advices.
- Disciplinary Actions:
- Gather and review evidence.
- Contact the student and set up appointment with student
- Meet the student and explain how he/she violates Student Behavior Guidelines.
- File an Incident Report if misconduct occurred; also turn in the report to Student Service Department. Staff of Student Service Department will inform parents or guardian
- Disciplinary Actions: 1st violation—verbal warning; 2nd violation—notice to parents; 3rd violation—dismissal.
- Sports shoes with wheels (Heelys) are prohibited in the school.
- No running and playing in hallways.
- Students are to be expected to walk in the hallways using soft and quiet feet. Walking through the halls quietly shows respect for others who are studying.
- Students are not to be in hallways during class.
- No playing in elevator and on stairways.
- Please change to sports shoes with rubber sole before entering the gym.
- Sports shoes with wheels (Heelys) are prohibited in the gym.
- Take good care of sports equipment and always return borrowed items.
- Students are not to play any sports in a disruptive or violent way.
- No playing in the restroom.
- No playing with the hand motion-activated machines.
- Paper towels go into the wastebasket, not the toilets.
- Keep the restroom dry and clean, and always flush the toilet after each use.
- Students should go back to class promptly after using the restroom.
Luncheon room & Office Rules
- Students should not enter Kitchen or Office without permission.
- Microwave and hot water are for teachers and staff only.
- For safety reason, microwave and hot water usage
isnot allowed for students. We encourage parents to provide lunch that donot need heating. This not only better facilitates lunch hour handling; it also ensures lunch helpers paying their full attention to all our students. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
School Dress Code
- Each child’s coat, hat, sweater, etc. must be clearly labeled with his/her name.
- For safety reason please wear close-toed shoes. No sandals or slippers.
- Shoes must be worn at all time.
- The dress, apparel, ornaments, or grooming is consistent with conventional standards of modesty and decorum.
- Students may not wear hats, caps, combs, or picks, etc., inside the building.
- The dress, apparel, ornament, or grooming is free from words, slogans, or pictures, which advertise drugs, alcohol, or sex or which contain vulgar or offensive writing, racial slurs, suggestive pictures or emblems or which may infer membership in gangs.
- Park all cars in designated parking areas during school sessions. No parking will be allowed in the drop-off zone. Warnings will be issued to violators. The school reserves the right to dismiss any student whose family receives more than three warnings. Please follow all parking instructions to ensure safety on campus.
Commercial and Political Activities Are Not Permitted
- ICS is a non-profit organization and does not endorse any political or commercial postings and activities. Should you need any information concerning such advertisement, please contact the school’s General Affairs Department. Please do not use parents’ email to make commercial advertisement or present personal information. They are only used for school communication with parents.
Student Behavior Guidelines
Student Classroom Rules
- Talking back is not acceptable.
- Students should treat school property and the property of others with respect.
- No eating or drinking in classroom except bottled water during class.
- No writing/drawing, and posting on the wall and furniture.
- No drawing on the white board without teacher’s permission.
- No hide and seek inside the cabinet.
- No littering. All trash goes into the wastebasket.
- No playing with electronic games of any kind during class.
- All cell phones must be turned off during class.
- Chairs should be pushed in before students leave.
- Students should not enter classroom without adult.
- When a student is absent, the parent or legal guardian should contact his/her teacher for the
- If a student is absent for more than three sessions (weeks), a doctor’s note is required
- Absences for more than three sessions (weeks) without a doctor’s note is considered unexcused.
- If a student leaves campus without teacher’s permission at any time, it is unexcused
- The following absences will not be excused if:
- The student stops attending class before the change of schedule procedure has been completed.
- The student does not receive permission from school office to attend another class.
- If a student is absent for more than ten sessions (weeks) without a doctor’s note it will
result in automatic withdraw from school with an incomplete grade.
Room Parent Classroom Rules
Room Parent Classroom Rules
- No parents other than room parents on duty are allowed in the classroom during class.
- The number of room parents should be no more than three for kindergarten, grades 1 and 2, and no more than two for other grades.
- Room parents should help the teacher to keep order in class. Ensure students follow all school and classroom rules and respect all property.
- Help the teacher by passing out papers and homework. Help students during the class when there is a need. Make sure the students understand the class assignment, especially for the lower grades students.
- Please do not chat, read newspaper, type, or sit next to your child to give instructions in the lassroom and please turn off your cell phone.
- Teachers may need help from room parents in setting up visual and computer equipment. Room parents should try to set up equipment before class or during recess to avoid disruptions to the class.
- No parents are allowed in the classroom during scheduled examinations.
- Siblings of registered students are not allowed to stay in the classroom when class is in session.
- Food or drinks are not allowed in the classroom. Please do not bring or chew gum in school.
- When entering or exiting the classroom, please open and close door quietly.