Irvine Chinese School/ ADE Scholarship (Zanhua Academy)
Award students who have outstanding performance on the Chinese language and Chinese-related extra curricular activities.
Applicants must have all seven qualifications listed below:
- Current ICS students with a minimum of two years of studies at ICS
- Grade B or above from the past two years in academic grades
- Grade B or above from the past two years in behavior grades and received no more than two warnings
- Current 9th grade or above in a public or private school or college students
- Can speak and understand daily Chinese conversations
- Has not been awarded the ADE scholarship twice in the past and was not awarded last year
- Participated in at least two events acknowledged by ICS in the past five years, such as
- Internal or external speech contests with at least an honorable mention
- Internal or external poem recital contests with at least an honorable mention
- Internal or external penmanship contests with at least an honorable mention
- Internal or external poster contests with at least an honorable mention
- Internal or external Chinese typing contests with at least an honorable mention
- Internal sports events (top three placements in an individual event) or external sports events (honorable mention or better)
- Representing ICS for other contest with an honorable mention or better
- Other ICS contests with an honorable mention or better
Application Timeline and Award Ceremony
- Application will be accepted between March 3, 2018 and March 24, 2018.
- Interview and test date is April 21st, 2018. (Exact time will be announced)
- Tentative awards announcement date is May 13th, 2018.
- Award ceremony schedule: TBD.
- ICS reserves the right to change the above dates with advance notice.
Scholarship Award Groups:
Scholarships are divided into two groups – advanced and intermediate.Generally, scholarships will be awarded to three students in the advanced group and five in the intermediate group.
- Advanced group is for college students and 11th and 12th graders.
- The intermediate group is for 9th and 10th graders.
- Students receiving scholarships in the advanced group will receive a $500 cash award and a certificate.
- Students in the intermediate group will receive a $200 cash award and a certificate.
Evaluation for scholarships:
Evaluation will be based on their Chinese School GPA , class ranking, and attendance of the past two years, SATII Chinese score, number of years of attending Chinese school, winning Chinese-related contests on campus and off campus, community service, teacher’s recommendation letter, written test & interview.